Visitors Map

Hello!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello!

Post by lims2k on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:54 pm

Hi All,
I am new to the forum and is considering to take over a pet grooming business in regional victoria. Great to have found this forum. Full of resources about pet grooming. Looking forward to hear from anyone about pet grooming.

Regards,

lims2k

lims2k

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello!

Post by snaggywoo on Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:48 pm

Welcome to the forum. I am relatively new to grooming and I'm fixing up my trailer to go mobile in Newcastle NSW hopefully in the new year.

There r lots of very knowledgeable and giving people here who r happy to give lots of tips. They certainly helped me decide to jump in with dog grooming and helped me get lessons and plan my business so post away with any questions Smile
snaggywoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:26 pm

Hi and welcome fellow melbernian
Chase

Back to top Go down

Thanks

Post by lims2k on Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:11 am

Thanks to all for the response. Being new I am currently a bit worried about getting the business through the winter period. Any thoughts on that?

Regards
lims2k

lims2k

Back to top Go down

Post by snaggywoo on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:59 pm

Well I can't speak from personal experience as I will also face the prospect of still building my business during winter but these are the ideas I have come up with:

For starters from what I have read those with established businesses on here don't seem to notice much of a drop-off so I am hoping it is just the first year that is the hurdle to get past. This is just one reason why I am starting off part time and continuing to work part time so I am not as stressed about this.

I have considered calling the traditional "tidy up" clip (face, feet, bum, sanitary with bath, blowdry and nails) a "winter grooming package" and ensuring that I present this package to the summer clients I have gained (through the guise of educating the customer) when it hits around April.

I thought I could have a brochure on this that I give to my clients after their April groom (as well as talking to the customer) and the brochure would explain the benefits to their pet (still comfortable, able to get good traction under their feet when walking, avoids infections, brushouts avoid matting etc) and the benefits to the customer (eg. pet doesn't smell, shedding is more controlled etc.)

I figure this might help customer attrition during winter. Obviously a tidy up style clip won't get as much revenue but at least it keeps customers in touch so they are still there to upgrade to a complete grooming package again in summer.... they haven't lost your phone number and forgotten your face in the meantime!
snaggywoo

Back to top Go down

Post by lims2k on Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:30 pm

Hi snaggywoo,

Thanks for the information. Well, as for me I have quit my full time job and currently negotiating with the business owner to take over the business. The business have a strong clients database. You never know what's going to happen when the business is under new management.

lims2k

Back to top Go down

Post by snaggywoo on Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:41 pm

Maybe ask the current owner what the usual situation is in winter. Other than that maybe offer a special that is hard to resist to interest the current clientele in continuing with the new management then deliver great service and a great job and hopefully they will b open to Ur advice regarding winter grooming and continue to come to the salon.

U may have to work harder in this initial period but it will be worth it hopefully as retaining a customer is cheaper than gaining a new one.

As I mentioned though I am speaking in theory from my own business intentions. Those on here who r really experienced grooming business owners... feel free to chime in! I'd love Ur opinions too!
snaggywoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:16 pm

I will chime in re the winter trade, I have not experienced this in the last 4 years. I am booked out everyday all year. 5 years ago it was a different story, what I learnt was you need to educate the clients, this is our lively hood. What i did was convince the clients that they must have the same booking all year round, not every 4, 6 or 8 weeks then nothing in winter so when it gets warm the poor fluffy is all matted then needs a shave off. Book them in at the same time all year round but in the cooler months leave the coat a couple snapon comb sizes longer. Clients love it, doggies love it as they don't need a shave off and money in the till, Win Win all round.
Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by snaggywoo on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:24 pm

That sounds great. So maybe avoid the tidy up type groom option. It's leaving money on the table as they say .....

Its great to hear what others do so I have the confidence to put these ideas forward. Knowing that other peoples customers go for this is fantastic.
snaggywoo

Back to top Go down

Post by DoggyDoos on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:20 pm

Yep. Same as what Chris said!! It's just a matter of educating clients.
DoggyDoos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum