Visitors Map

Suspected Sarcoptic mange in my own dogs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Suspected Sarcoptic mange in my own dogs

Post by B&B on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:23 pm

Ok so I'm not so impressed with my situation at the moment! Neither are my dogs at the moment I suspect!

95% sure it is sarcoptic. She is chewing and licking and chewing, lost some fur on elbows and inner thighs. I feel like Im a bit of a dope for not picking up on it sooner, thought she had some allergies from her last romp at the river in the wandering dew. But kept her away from there and she hasn't improved.

She has been romping around at my brother's acreage in the last month, and there is wombats there. So Im pretty sure its the mange

Hoping I can avoid a vet visit if possible. She isn't too bad, (for mange) Im guessing, and my other dog has only just starting itching.

I'm going to get some Revolution tomorrow. Just wondering if I should get some kind of treatment to wash them in? And if so what?

Also what is the risk for me to be passing this on to my doggy clients at this stage? If indeed it is the sarcoptic?!
B&B

Back to top Go down

Re: Suspected Sarcoptic mange in my own dogs

Post by Chase on Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:05 am

Mange can be very contagious, so I would prob go over board on sterilizing everything you use on other dogs till it's gone.( or maybe because I am a germaphob) a dog came into the grooming salon I used to work that had a really bad case. Fur was missing on the entire legs and even it back, owners went to one vet who told them its just allergies. Sent them to the vet near us and they told them it was mange and the first thing to do is use revolution. I think they also had to wash all bedding in disinfectant.

Chase

Back to top Go down

Post by B&B on Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:28 pm

I'm glad I don't get around to washing mine very often at the moment. Pretty sure my hydrobath is not contagious, been ages since they have been in it. I won't wash them until I'm sure we're in the clear. Looks like I was right, they had the revolution this morning and this evening the itching has settled down. Big relief! Poor buggers!
B&B

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top