Visitors Map

Keywords

todd  

building up a clientele base

View previous topic View next topic Go down

building up a clientele base

Post by Guest on Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:34 pm

Hi Guys,

So as most of you know I started my mobile business about two weeks ago. I was just wondering how long it took for you to build up steady work. Im lucky I started in the busy period, but soon that will be over and im going to have to rely on repeat customers and getting the word out there that im around.
I am finding that I am competing with a lot of groomers who don't charge that much and I am more expensive than them but I don't want to drop my prices. For example I charge $35 for a small dog wash and they charge $25, they charge $30 for a cocker size wash. I live in the mornington peninsula and that area has a lot of wealthier suburbs in it, so I know they can afford it but they're just so used to the other groomers prices and ive already had people commenting on how expensive my prices are. I dont know how you could make a profit if you charge that much?? or are their prices reasonable?

Back to top Go down

Re: building up a clientele base

Post by Cessnock on Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:04 pm

One thing we found was to give people options...up here the biggest complaint with the mobile people was that bath/blow dried was a standard min ...a bath without the dry for the summer, shy dogs & pensioners that are happy to take them inside in front of the fire at a cheaper rate ...free toe nail clipping with every service ...people need to think they are getting more for their $$.

Also if you keep prices on baths down you will find people will have you come around more often & therefore you make more $$ & the dogs are cleaner & easier to wash & you get more exposure in that street & b4 you know it you will have 4 or 5 in the same street getting done..no travel time :-) .

for an example of how we used to run our mobile pricing.(each area has a different idea of what is cheap/dear we are country)...standard bath $16...Flea/medicated bath $20 ...bath & blow dry $30 small ,$40 large 80% dry any shampoo choice, extra for the 100% dry option . Free nails & ears if needed Smile

we had just about everyone on a 2 weekly bath option ..in winter they would upgrade to baths/dry every 2 weeks because they became used to you being there & the dogs smelling great during the summer. So yes you charge less but you make more money.

Now the grooming side is a whole different subject..but the baths/dries are what put food on your table during the winter months & you need as many of these as you can get !

Back to top Go down

Post by gumsgrooming on Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:17 pm

It has taken me 18 months to create steady work for myself.

On average grooming 3 days a week i make at least $1500 gross a month, that's winter and at the moment i'm making $3000 gross a month

I do include nail clipping with every bath and during summer offer a bath only option. I find most of my clients want them blo dried though.

When someone asks for a price i always mention everything it includes i.e bath, blow dry and nails trimmed. They think they are getting more for their money. This is my second xmas and i am proud to say that December has been fully booked out since the end of November.

I groom 3 days a week so next year i'm dropping hours at the vet to groom 4 days a week. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris on Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:25 pm

gumsgrooming wrote:This is my second xmas and i am proud to say that December has been fully booked out since the end of November.
cheers cheers cheers
Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by Tail's a Waggin' on Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:18 pm

Sound advice however a friendly warning "don't sell yourself to short." Cheaper prices will definetly pull the work in but price increases down the track will sift out the dead hair so to speak. Educating your clients to quality can be hard and fustrating and will take time but if you have paid the money to do such a good coarse then set your standard and stick to it. Good clientile will follow. Wink I can't speak for NSW but being Melbourne based I can tell pick your area's and suburbs wisely from the begining to avoid the headaches later. Out the end of my street go left & no- one wants to pay more than $50 for clip and $25 for wash. Turn right and your looking at $60 - $70 groom and min $40 wash. Smile Set your prices inclusive of full service. No short cuts.
For example I charge $35 for a small dog wash and they charge $25, they charge $30 for a cocker size wash.
Wow that is just tooooooo cheap, sorry I just wouldn't get out of bed for that. Set a minimum call out fee. Mine is $40. This covers short hair breed like Staffy & Jack Russell size. In our traffic conditions you have to calculate time and the convience that you are coming to them. Once you have sighted the dog/s it is up to you if you give a discount to retain recurring appointments. Don't give a discount over the phone until you have seen what the dog is like. You may get the job but people can be very aloof as to what they have. "It's just a small little fluffly" can also mean "it's just a small little fluffly that hasn't been groomed for 12 months, flea ridden, wash matted and needs to go to the vet but the owner is just to embarrased" Owners won't tell you this but will hold you to what you quote on the phone. Research your competitors, check out there prices for yourself. Visit the pet stores and get your own quotes. There are always undisclosed extra's which become to confusing for customers. Shocked Recently visiting my sister in Mornington she took me to her pet store with inhouse groomer. I was horrified at what they charged. Again more than me and I'm mobile. Are you competing with independants or franchises??? At the prices you've quoted I'd say that would be grooming at the bottom of Olivers Hill. Try marketing yourself from the top of Olivers Hill onwards.

Here's just an example that blew me away this week. I was at one of my regulars of 5 years in Essendon this week. When I pulled into the property I noticed one of the major company competitors across the road. Surprised They had just started on the first dog whilst I was knocking on the door for my poo. They had finished washing two dogs in the time it had taken me to get the dog, pre clip and wash. I was drying when that washer offered me a business card and work if I needed it as they had knocked back so many grooming jobs. LOL. Interesting but what stuck me to the wall was the minute they left the owner in that house came marching out heading for me.. Ahh Ohhh. Not happy Jane. She took one look at the dog I was doing and asked if I had time to do hers again as they were not clean and still wet. He charged $80 for that. I visited once finished and actually referred her to go to A.D.C as I had no availability to help but assured that this wouldn't happen there. She knew exactly who they were as they had previously groomed these two. A Westie and a Malt. She would have gladly paid me what ever I charged her to get the same result hence you get what you pay for. Wink

You've been trained by the best. You live in an area that is connected to exclusive clientile. I've seen the quality of your work. Set your standards, make your training count and take pride in what you do. DON'T be rattled by cheap competitors as they will come and go as you flourish with a good reputation of quality washing and grooming. It is daunting at the start but know your competitors and have the confidence to say that's fine to customers that tell you, you are to pricey. You have a few good months of hot weather before wet season and dogs need care all year round. You will be fine and you have the best scenery around you to be out enjoying what you do... OMG sorry for the essay........whhaaaaaa Shocked
Tail's a Waggin'

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:24 am

Thanks everyone for input!

@tails a waggin- I agree with everything you wrote, at the moment I am covering areas from mt martha to mentone, I just make sure that I book days in either the morn. pen north or south, so I'm not doing too much traveling in one day. I was speaking to another mobiler in my area (she's really nice) she said that the prices are the way they are because of the competition, to me that means everyones trying to be the cheapest to get customers, why not everyone come together and work out an average price so customers have to pay a reasonable rate, groomers are worth it.

I have had a lot of people say that they like my grooms and baths and did not understand why the last groomer didnt get the same result with the groom/bath. Maybe they're rushing their jobs so they can fit more dogs in to compensate for their low prices?

I think there are 2 franchises and about 4 main independants.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tail's a Waggin' on Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:14 am

You've got it. Don't stress. Try to rebook washes every 4 weeks & grooms 6-8 wk. Again keeping it all in the same spot. Why go back every 2wks when you can charge more and go 4wks. You will build until you can't fit anymore in. Customers will see the quality and not want to go back to cheap. Network with your competition as you are. Better to work together than against each other. Sometimes you don't want there s%#t. Calculate your average earn a day. When I started I worked on $250 a day. Lot's of dog's & hard work. One day this week I did that in three dogs and home early. cheers If Ms Gillard is doing you a favour you can pass that on however why should you discount when your already paying for people to stay home. Pensioner discounts come with loyalty not just cause your a pensioner. It's not cruel, it's business and yours.....you will know what is right. Now let's see some pictures of your set up.........bounce Very Happy cheers
Tail's a Waggin'

Back to top Go down

Post by Cessnock on Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:40 pm

Tail's a Waggin' wrote:Why go back every 2wks when you can charge more and go 4wks.

Disagree .

As a dog owner There is no way I would let my little dogs that sleep in my bed each night go 4 weeks betweens baths..ewwwwww ...the house would start to smell like dog ..they would look feral. 2 weeks is the maximum time they can go inbetween baths...by day 7-8 the smell of shampoo & deodoriser has gone, but they still smell ok...by day 12 they doggy smell is on its way back by day 14 they would not be allowed in my bed & you would still have another 2 weeks b4 your dogwash lady was due back Shocked

There are lots of working people out there that have the same situation..little house dogs ,no time to bath themselves...people hate to walk into a house that smells of dog!! So 2 weekly for the indoor dogs is a must ..outside dogs monthly just b4 their flea control is due works great.

As I said iMO its all about giving people options ....Nowdays I charge $40 for a small dog bath/dry...but the people that have weekly/2 weekly baths Im happy to charge them $30 ...its easier $$ as the dogs are having a refresher bath rather than a get clean bath ..dogs smell & look great & if my maths is correct $40 if they were washed monthly...$60 a month if i see them every 2 weeks ..thats an extra $20 you have made from that client ...yes you have to see/wash the dog twice..but I would rather be out & about working earning $$ than sitting on my arse watching tv ..when you are starting out you have to do the hard yards ...once your books are full & there is not a single spare hour left ,you can start to cull naughty dogs/people from your list & pick & choose the higher paying jobs :-)

Cheaper price does not have to equal lesser quality of work...once you have a run built you can slowly increase prices ,..but yes dont sell yourself short or undercut people ..just keep the prices real for your area :-)

Try different things..see what works in your area...& go from there :-)

Like I said this is just my View & as we are all different we all have different views.

Question though...how often do you all wash your own dogs????

Me weekly for the house dogs, monthly for the 2 yard dogs b4 their Comfortis is due :-)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:33 pm

With bathing my dogs it depended on which dog to how often. My first dog was every 2 weeks because she used to get severe hot spots, so we made sure she was clean. My next dogs growing up were an irish wolf hound X and a bully X grey hound, they werent bathed often, they never seemed to get stinky, I think because their coats werent oily and they were inside.

I love isle of dog "clean" shampoo, I just smelt my heeler and I can still smell it after nearly 3 weeks since her bath and she is still soft.

Meanwhile I got a $30 tip of a client today! YAY that's the most i have ever got, I got a $10 tip yesterday and thats kinda what I usually get for a tip, $5 or $10.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tail's a Waggin' on Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:34 pm

Disagree
Your allowed. Laughing
As a dog owner There is no way I would let my little dogs that sleep in my bed each night go 4 weeks betweens baths..ewwwwww ...the house would start to smell like dog
I'm a dog owner also and they are dogs. Ewww I don't think they should smell like deodarant or as I tell one rep who keeps trying to sell me strawberry, chocolate or vanilla deodorisers like a milkshake. I don't like humans who bath in perfume either. Each to there own. Laughing Laughing
people hate to walk into a house that smells of dog!!
Again it's a dog. I'm house proud and no one has ever said my home stinks. IMO Keep the dog outside when at work if it makes your home smell.
$40 if they were washed monthly
No minimum call out fee is $40. Some of my owners with your same opinion get 3 week turn around however that is two large dogs @ $100 for labs & $140 for rough coat collies. At these prices IMO it would be robbery when the dog's are outside daytime. Works for them, works for me.
I would rather be out & about working earning $$ than sitting on my arse watching tv ..when you are starting out you have to do the hard yards .
Oh boy I wished I'd had time to sit on my arse and watch TV when I started however I was to busy working to the customers demands trying to establish a client base which put me to burnout mode unable to do anything but sit on my arse and watch TV. IM Experience I would have preferred to have gone a little slower and smarter and not burnt myself out. That's all.
how often do you all wash your own dogs????

Wilbur with short hair who also sleeps with us and lives inside not weekly. I was always lead to believe that was not good for them.
they werent bathed often, they never seemed to get stinky, I think because their coats werent oily and they were inside.

He is washed definetly when he rolls in poo and when I feel he needs it. My husband and I wash daily, the sheets on the bed are washed weekly and we like the way our dog smells. Laughing Laughing

I do apologise if my opinions have been taken in offense. Sad We all agree everybody has their own way and opinon and this might not be for everyone but it is also good for new people starting out to get a variable prospective on things so they can find their own direction. This is all my views are mean't for. Sorry about that it wasn't meant to be confrontational. No
Tail's a Waggin'

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:10 am

I was thinking, when it starts to slow down should I offer a discounted first time client offer, for baths only. I seem to have a hard time explaining to people why im a bit more expensive, but when they book they are really happy and re-book with no problem of paying my prices. So if I discount and get people in and show them what I can do then hopefully they re book. Sure some people won't come back because they're more after the cheap price, but I dont want those customers anyway, I want the ones like yesterday that tipped me $30!

I appreciate all the views put forward, gives me something to think about and see what would work best for me Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cessnock on Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:02 am

I take no offense this thread is great :-) & I love a good discussion pros & cons for everyone elses views ......& to have different views is very informative ..by hearing lots of peoples different views you get a bigger picture & are able to mentally slot your clients into 'catergroys' so to speak & best serve their needs :-)

I would be the crazy lady that phones up that loves her dogs to smell pretty & wear bows ..a mobile room deodoriser ;-) that is too busy to wash them herself as she works full time & has a hectic social life...but manages to walk her dogs in the bush every afternoon & lets them sleep on her bed. Not $$ short but still looking for long term good value & will never be home when you called & have a regular bank transfer set up....from a few key questions you can find this info out on the 1st phone enquiry & you would know which category to put me in....to use heaps of pretty spray & differents bows each time & offer 2 weekly baths at a price that only regular rebooking clients get... I feel special because im getting a discount & the dogs smell /look great ...made yourself a long standing client. If you approch me with they are 'just dogs' attitude you would not get the job.

So ask heaps of key question...work out whats sort of client they are & offer services that suit thier lifestyle :-)

Back to top Go down

Post by Tail's a Waggin' on Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:54 pm

I take no offense this thread is great :-) & I love a good discussion pros & cons for everyone elses views ......& to have different views is very informative ..by hearing lots of peoples different views you get a bigger picture & are able to mentally slot your clients into 'catergroys' so to speak & best serve their needs :-)

Phhewww I'm soooo glad to hear that Nat. I agree and it's good to know as I think we've thrown alot of good info together. Love your passion. Very Happy Wink
If you approch me with they are 'just dogs' attitude you would not get the job.

LOL Wouldn't give myself the job on that either as I'm always telling people they are members of the family. Good one. LOL cheers
Tail's a Waggin'

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top