Visitors Map

Keywords

todd  

1080 poison

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1080 poison

Post by peke-lover on Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:18 pm

Hi guys, I'm having some issues with not being able to go back to old posts, could someone please help me finding the post where someone mentioned something you can give your dog if they swallowed a bait. It makes them vomit it up. Thanks heaps.

Back to top Go down

Re: 1080 poison

Post by DoggyDoos on Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:07 pm

Lisa

It could be Syrup of Ipecac. That is what was commonly used to induce vomiting in people who had ingested poison. Not sure how much you would give an animal.
DoggyDoos

Back to top Go down

1080 poison

Post by gumsgrooming on Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:20 pm

Not sure what the post contained, but you can also use washing soda crystals, give 3-5 (depending on size) crystals orally.
Ideally if a dog has eaten a bait it should be taken to a vet with a couple of hours and vomiting induced with a more effective drug there which if used in a certain way can also be reversed.
Most vets will also feed the dog activated charcoal after the dog stops vomiting which can absorb remaining poison.

DO NOT induce vomiting if it could be a poison that may burn.

Last edited by gumsgrooming on Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
gumsgrooming

Back to top Go down

Post by jonna on Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:00 am

Oh dear, bait swallowing. I had to bait recently but there is a hole in the wall in my son's room that I haven't yet fixed so I stuffed it in there.
We were told, and have done this so it does work, 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide (we all have this handy) and walk your pet. Give another tablespoon if it doesn't work and continue. We had to do this years back and it does make them vomit. Hope no one needs this for bait.

Back to top Go down

Post by CoatCutter on Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:29 am

Couldn't find an old post in the Health and Safety section referring to baits. The 1080 is the rabbit poison isn't it? I'm guessing Daisy got some, but was it the actual bait, or a dead rabbit? Can give our vet a call tomorrow if you like... we're in rural area so they should know, and our neighbours have used it too.

CoatCutter
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris on Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:33 pm

As what Jonna said use Hydrogen Peroxide @ 3% strength (available from chemist). Dosage of 1tablespoon per 7kg, dribble it into the back of the mouth or into pouch of the cheek.

After inducing the vomiting, transport pet immediately to vet and take a sample of the vomitus and suspected poison if possible.

Not recommended for inducing vomiting
1: Salt Water
2: Dry Mustard
3: Syrup of Ipecac

Chris...

Last edited by PoodleAntics on Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added test)
Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by peke-lover on Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:22 pm

Thanks everyone. Yes 1080 is the poison they drop in national parks, it kills everything (roo's, dogs (dingos'), rabbits, native wildlife, cats, even the birds that feed on the dead animals I believe). Because we're travelling, it's a real worry. Apparently the birds can also pick up the bait, then drop it right in the caravan park. No, Daisy hasn't found it yet, but food obsessed as she is it's only a matter of time. Apparently it's a very cruel way to go and once they' swallowed it, getting to the vet is out of the question as they would be dead first. A beagle in the caravan park we are in now died of it only 2 weeks ago. In small towns like we are in, there are visiting vets only that come once a week. I did ask a my local vet before we left town and she was of no help other than shrugged shoulders and 'say your prayers'. Great! However, as long as you are basically there to see the dog eat the bait and make them vomit ASAP I have heard you can save them. I have had 2 lots of the washing soda advice, so thankyou, I might take this path.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top